Thursday 24 January 2008

Parameters and Benchmarks

Following my discussion with Jared, I'm aware that this project is going to have to meet, or at least work towards, certain benchmarks of quality. I know that I want the animation in particular to be of a high standard, and I am looking for some examples of the kind of movement and feeling I want to imbue the characters with. I also intend to find some examples of the look of the final animation, either toon-shaded or shaded to look like plasticine. Hopefully I'll be able to keep within the parameters defined in the Axis brief.

I'm planning to experiment with some new software for this work- the only 3D package I have used to date is Maya, but I'm keen to try out Max and possibly ZBrush or Mudbox. The experiments I'd like to try are:

*Importing Maya meshes into Max in order to make use of 'idiot-proof' shading and rendering tools.

*Generating maps using ZBrush or Mudbox in order to create realistic looking plasticine.

*Rendering with a toon-shader to create an alternative look.

No comments: